Residential Lighting Fixtures: What You Need To Know
There are lots of home lighting options home users can decide to settle for depending on the lighting needs. These ranges from integrated architectural options that will call for tradesmen and contractors, to the decorative lamps that may only require be placed on a coffee table or plugging in some outlet. Even though some lighting may be related to lighting layer in most cases, accent, ambient or task majority of the lighting systems are versatile enough to be installed and applied in numerous ways.
1) Architectural: Cove, Valace and Soffit are the most common architectural lighting types. They are all fixed in the room structure. The cove is positioned on a shelf, recess or ledge and the resultant light are bounced to some wall or ceiling. Soffit lighting in positioned in the cornice on the ceiling and the light passes downwards. Valace on the other hand is positioned on a metal, wood or glass high on the wall or mounted on above the house window, the light passes both up and downwards.
2) Recessed: Also known as down-light, recessed lighting is basically a lighting system installed in a hole designed for the ceiling. The light travels downwards and lights the room.
3) Track: Track lighting is mounted from the ceiling; it is basically a series of housing that contains numerous heads that can be placed anywhere. They are commonly used for accent or task lighting.
4) Under-cabinet: hung from the kitchen cabinet, either single or multiple fixtures. They are commonly used for tasking in the kitchen
5) Pendants: Placed on the ceiling, projecting the light downwards in most cases over a kitchen island or a table. They are usually decorative in nature and used for ambience or tasking.
Factors to Consider when buying lighting fixture(s):
The market offers a plethora of lighting options. The choice of a lighting fixture depends on the needs of the user. Some of the factors one would like to consider before purchasing lighting fixtures may include the colors, sizes, illumination accessory styles, different types and uses.
The setting is the first consideration before buying a lighting system. Do you need a light or dim room? Knowing well the setting, the buyer needs to understand that the market has numerous kinds of fixtures including and not limited to, wall scones, chandeliers, and pendant, recessed, architectural amongst others.
The consumer should then consider the need for beauty, appeal and the appearance of the illumination device. An example, in a Victorian home the home owner can settle for the chandeliers for its decorative purpose. Efficiency is however more important than the aesthetic value.
Together with the numerous devices available in the market, there are also a variety of lighting bulbs that the homeowners will need for different purposes. The bulbs range from the LED, high intensity, to incandescent bulbs.
Removing and replacing a light fixture is an easy task. You do not necessarily require the help of a technician. Here is a quick step by step guide to remove and fix a new home lighting fixture.
How to Remove Old Lighting Fixture(s):
1. Shut off the power at the fuse box or breaker
2. Depending on the type of the fixture, most only require twisting the knob, others will require unscrewing. Just keep the bowl firmly and steady to avoid from falling
3. After removing the bowl, the bulbs are exposed. Unscrew the bulbs.
4. Unscrew the plate from the wall or ceiling. Gently twist to loosen the plate from the screws.
5. Use the tester first to determine if there is a power leak on the hanging wires. Disconnect the wiring when safe. Always call a pro if not sure about your electrical power tactics
How to Install New Lighting Fixture(s):
1. Turn the power off from the main switch
2. Read your manufacturer manual
3. Understand the wires, neutral, ground and live wires. Generally, you will match colors, white to white, black to black and ground to ground wires.
4. Strip off the wires at the base of the device. Connect the ceiling box wires to the light fixture wires.
5. Neatly tuck the wires back to their place in the box, then screw into the ceiling, the mounting bracket. Test to find out if it worked, done.
Long Branch, Louisville/Jefferson County metro government (balance), Boulder, Lebanon, Northampton, La Grange Park, Jefferson City, Hickory, Asheville, Simpsonville, Aberdeen, Tulsa, Dunedin, Marysville, Canton, Brigham City, Woodstock, Riverview, San Luis Obispo, Crestview, Minnesota, Madison, Pontiac, Warner Robins, South Dakota, Rolla, Mississippi, Centennial, Barberton, Sebastian, Westwego, Hoover, Onalaska, Rome, Woodland, Yonkers, Idaho Falls, Wildwood, Macomb, Pompton Lakes, Trenton, Clarksdale, Clearfield, Illinois, Sterling Heights, Urbandale, Plymouth, New York, Manteca, Dobbs Ferry, Bellevue, Reynoldsburg, Rancho Santa Margarita, The Colony, Conway, South Carolina, Moss Point, Porterville, Columbus, Covina, Montana, Canyon Lake, Claremore, Federal Way, Florida, Birmingham, Rhode_Island, Cathedral City, Allentown, New London, Fernandina Beach, Clermont, Vernon, San Dimas, Idaho, Citrus Heights, Del City, Worcester, Santa Paula, Campbell, Sunrise, Alexandria, Marshfield, Puyallup, Dumas, Crawfordsville, Crowley, Pinole, Oregon City, Orland Park, Pacific Grove